Sunday, March 29, 2009

Don't Cap Movie Tax Breaks Unless You Want to Kill the New Industry Before It Takes Hold

BY MITCH ALBOM • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • March 29, 2009

If you can name one other Michigan business that grew from $2 million to around $125 million last year -- in the worst economy since the Depression -- I'll shut up.

If you can name one other Michigan business that, in its baby stages, elicited plans for $140 million in new studio investments, I'll keep quiet.

If you can name one other Michigan business that created this much excitement and this many people scurrying to learn new skills, I'll stand down.

But if you can't, then maybe you should be the one to cool your jets.

I'm talking about Michigan's movie business.

And I'm talking to state Sen. Nancy Cassis.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009903290427

No comments: